Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Current Hobby Status: A Summary

After a long absence, brought on by a developing bitter hatred of Games Workshop, fueled by the wrathful lashings of a brutal divorce... I will admit, they've lured me back. Here's the summary of current games, with a little smattering of my thoughts, and a brief summary of where they're at.

The Games:

Bloodbowl: I have been playing Bloodbowl on and off (mostly off) almost as long as I've been playing 40k. It was however, never really a game I spent much time or effort on, converting models was fun, and I did a converted (never finished) Eldar team I still love to this day. Since the 2016 re-release though, a great community of coaches have sprung up locally and a friend and I have started a League that's starting it's third Season in a few weeks! Bloodbowl is easily my current favorite game. Not only is it a great game that's easy to learn with a huge depth of strategy, but as someone primarily interested in the modeling aspect of the hobby, Bloodbowl really gives me free reign. Tons of opportunity for conversions, kit bashes and sculpts.

Current Stati: I have three teams assembled, with some paint on them. Eldar (Elves), Klingon (Norse), and Dwarves. I have a Skaven box ready to assemble, a Halfling team on the way for my birthday, and I've been eyeing up a Chaos Kickstarted by Greebo Games that goes live in a few weeks.

Necromunda: A new game to me, a Christmas present from my darling wife actually. I wanted to get into this one primarily for the table. I have grand plans to do a massive 3d table, with built in electronics for lighting effects, epoxy liquid pools, and multiple levels for all the action to take place. Another game that lends itself to my modeling preferences. I already have plans to do a "counts as" Squat gang. This satiates whatever is left of my 40k boner but doesn't require hundreds of dollars in rulebooks and potentially hundreds of models (of the same army, not a lot of variety) to build and paint.

Current Stati: Starter box is assembled, with a few brush strokes of paint on them. I've started gathering materials and ideas for the table, and the game as a whole is pretty much on hold until I start work on the table.

Batman The Miniatures Game: I love Batman. Inappropriately so. I was enamored with this game when I first discovered it. Great models, great mechanics, great game. However, the models are hard  to get locally, and expensive to import. No real community developed locally, only a small handful of players got into it.

Current Stati: The game is pretty much dead locally, but as I love the models, they're on my back burner hobby pile. I'll finish them eventually. I'd ordered enough to treat the game as a "board game" in the future, two large crews, lots of leaders/henchmen, I can break it out and play whenever the mood strikes, with just the stuff I have in my own collection. These will also play beautifully on the completed Necromunda table.

Malifaux: I haven't been into it much, this is another game I was really into pre-divorce, that got sidetracked and packed away for a long time. It's back out now, I've got the updated rules, and there is still a small local community!

Current Stati: I'll need to go through a lot of this to figure out where I was with a lot of it. Most of it is finished or close to it though. Malifaux was always the game I managed to actually finish a lot of hobby-wise, and I have quite a lot, it was definitely my primary game for many years.

Warhammer 40k: I will most likely never play 40k again. However, I have a beloved Grey Knight army that was my best friend and lover for many years.

Current Stati: It's maybe 50% finished, and I figure it'll be my mid-life crisis to finish it someday. I've sort of decided that my Grey Knights will become more of a showpiece diorama type thing than an actual playable army.

And that's basically it? The Summary of Currently Active Projects, broken down into general game catagories. Most of the blog posts will be about Bloodbowl and Necromunda, with the others thrown in for occasional flare.

-Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment